Whats your biggest (horsy) fear.... and why?

Answer H&R's quick-fire questions and you could appear in the magazine
pukkapony

Whats your biggest (horsy) fear.... and why?

Postby pukkapony » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:15 pm

Ok, with exception to the dreaded P.T.S. situatuion what is your biggest horsy fear?

Mine is being kicked after getting chucked off; I know someone who was bucked off and she came of at the back of the horse, the horse kicked out again after she had actualy come off and kicked her in the face with both back hooves. Apparently the doctors said she was lucky to be alive, if the kick had been off to one side as oppsoed to central, or the horse had been wearing shoes, she would have almost cirtanly died!

Kaliska

Re: Whats your biggest (horsy) fear.... and why?

Postby Kaliska » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:29 pm

Falling off out hacking and having my horse run off. I did finally fall off the other week out hacking (after 10 years of riding) and it was good to actually do it at last as I had been getting more and more scared of it happening!

lemmethink

Postby lemmethink » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:22 pm

Mine is about my horse's fetlocks. He has been sore before (probably from lungeing indoors when the weather was bad for weeks) and the vet and farrier suspect he may have a touch of sidebone, or changes in that area that make him sensitive to turns and angles, like cambered roads. I think about it more than strictly healthy. It doesn't stop is from doing things, but I do try and structure the best situation with this in mind.

Irishcobfan

Postby Irishcobfan » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:01 am

My biggest fear is being bolted with, a horse I rode years ago was like riding a 17.2hh guided missile. He headed for the gate and he suddenly veered one way and I went the other...right on top of some hard baked tractor ruts. Ouch!

Archie

Postby Archie » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:46 am

Ridden mine would bolting. To be on a horse in a state of total blind panic and having no control as the rider is my biggest fear.

Laminitis is another fear. Or if for any reason my pony had be on very long prolonged box rest. I would find that very hard to deal with as he is a native pony who lives to be outside and I don't know if I could stand by and watch him be that unhappy.

littlehorse

Postby littlehorse » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:37 pm

My worst ridden fear would be rearing. To have a horse stand upright and potentially fall over backwards would be by worst nightmare. I don't mind bucking though.

mja

Postby mja » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:22 pm

My horses being stolen or havig some injury/disease causing them to be PTS xx

HollyGee

Postby HollyGee » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:50 am

Aside from things like losing/damaging them in horrific road accidents (like in Horse Whisperer), just the thought of being kicked scares me! i have been lucky enough in my 20 year horsey life to never have been clocked!

Horse Girl

Postby Horse Girl » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:31 pm

Having no brakes out hacking (as well in the school) is my biggest fear after my accident Another would have to be riding a horse that suddenly rears and bucks - scary!

dominochase

Postby dominochase » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:06 pm

Bolting out hacking is definitely mine and for that reason I get nervous when I'm riding an unknown horse and the area opens out into a field or similar. I'm fine if I know the horse, it's only if I don't know them.
It's a lot like nuts and bolts –
if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!
[b]Nicholas Evans[/b]
[img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/1078553 ... 33bf_m.jpg[/img]

Return to “In 50 words or less...”