Where are all the horsey blokes?

Size 12 riding boots... A hat that fits properly... Riding schools with man-sized horses... This one's for you, guys!
horse_girl

Where are all the horsey blokes?

Postby horse_girl » Mon May 11, 2009 2:23 pm

I'm always hearing about how there are loads of men who are getting into horses and riding, but can someone tell me where they all are?! My local riding school is a totally female environment, but we'd love to get the blokes on board. Do men feel a bit intimidated, perhaps?

Centaur

Re: Where are all the horsey blokes?

Postby Centaur » Mon May 11, 2009 3:56 pm

In a word, yes! I sometimes feel like I'm expected to be William Fox Pitt or John Whitaker, when all I want to do is concentrate on keeping my heels down.

greyhorse

Postby greyhorse » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:37 am

There are really nice men at our stable, riders, owners and a few gentlemen who work there, too. I think having men part of stable life helps create a nice atmosphere. It also helps to have someone over five feet tall on the property!

Bergie

Postby Bergie » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:38 pm

I agree with the above! We have some really nice men at my yard that keep horses and come riding there too, one of the staff at the yard is also a man. Again i agree that it creates a nice atmosphere and they also offer to do all the jobs that require someone above 5ft6!

Centaur

Postby Centaur » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:19 pm

Charming! See I'm the only bloke on the yard, and a bit of male support would help. it can get a bit embarrassing when all you lovely ladies start to have 'girl conversations'

James

Postby James » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:21 pm

Well I am a horsey bloke and I have two event horses, who are coming up through the grades. Hello and full support to all other men out there. I actually find being in the minority quite a nice thing. I have a good banter with the ladies at my yard then disappear off to the pub with my mates in the evening. I don't feel intimidated at all, but then I suppose I have been riding all my life and a lot of the ladies ask me for advice, which is nice. Is it hard being a man and starting out then?

Kaliska

Postby Kaliska » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:50 am

I have been riding for nearly 9 years now and I have only ever known three men that actually ride, rather than just sitting on a horse like my partner does! :lol:

They have all been showjumpers and one is a happy hacker, but I never seem to come across any at the lower levels? Like in riding schools?

Yet lots of the top riders are men!

angie07

Postby angie07 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:24 pm

I'm a horsey bloke. I want to be a vet so started working at my local school. I'm the only guy there but it dosen't bother me. Though i mainly deal with the general looking after and veterinary side of the horses I have had a couple of lessons and do want to learn to ride properly.

steve72

Postby steve72 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:28 pm

Me & My partner Ian have 4 horses between us, I have ridden since a child and have been passionate about it ever since. Went to Equine College, 6 months in Germany working for a dressage rider, then came home and got a "proper" job!! Dead boring but it allows us to have horses as a hobby! I've got a young 4yo warmblood who I'm hoping to take up the grades in dressage - but I'm not a serious competitor I just like dressage for fun, hate getting ready for shows and looking poncy and feeling nervous/anxious etc!! I'd rather just ping about in the school at the yard!

pukkapony

Postby pukkapony » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:46 pm

Steve72, I apologise if I do have this all wrong, but by your last post you refer to your partner 'Ian', assuming you are both happy chappys that almost backs up one of my ulitmate theorys in life....

"There are only 2 perfect men in the entire world, such a shame they are dating each other!"

In to horses, hard worker at the yard, probably good looking (just to top it off) and with each other.... what more could shatter a womans dreams!

Keep up the good work! x

Return to “Horsey blokes”