Wild hack

Is there an access group that needs your help or a bridleway that needs attention? Maybe you just need help getting your horse past post boxes...
pukkapony

Re: Wild hack

Postby pukkapony » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:27 pm

You can buy something called a 'Daisy Reign' it goes from the top of the horses head to the saddle & prevents the horse from dipping his head down far enough to put in a rodeo buck... its commonly used with young learner children, to stop the horse pulling its head down and unseating the poor un-balanced little kid on the top that tends to just topple head over heels (quite literally!) over the front of the horse!

I agree with James, lunging before a hack is also a good way of getting it all out the system but still be prepared as they will always leave one or two in reserve for a possible mini rodeo moment!

aimeeee!

Postby aimeeee! » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:08 am

My friend's horse does the same, i'm glad i'm not the only one. Its really different when it's not your own horse as no matter how long you've known that horse you dont always feel that bit safer.

The first buck isn't bad, the second maybe not so much its the 3rd 4th 5th and the rest after that. Its all been well telling someone to keep their horses head, it all depends on the size and the build of the horse as hes as wide as he is tall built like a tank.

i agree with pukkapony, get your sister to try a diasy rain. doesnt always stop the buck in an experienced older horse, but it stops the broncing. also try up-hill cantering and galloping its usually harder for them to throw themselves around - plus its a good work out. and lunge, if its excitement lunge lunge lunge!

anyone with any tips on staying on a bucking bronc whos built like a tank (belguim draft like) at 16.3hh, i'd very very much welcome it as everyones kissed the dust so far as he doesn't do it on lunge or anything.... simply when he feels like it.

pukkapony

Postby pukkapony » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:59 pm

in response to 'aimeeee!'

Hang on, close your eyes & hope of heaven! LOL!

In all seriousness, the best way to stop a bucker is to find the route of the problem & eliminate it, maybe pain or a fear? Its always worth getting the saddle fitter out to check & have his mouth looked at too. If its none of those and he does it randomly, like for fun or something then just always expect the unecpected, work on your balance and hope he grows out of it!

Lucinda

Postby Lucinda » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:14 pm

Thanks guys. I haven't ridden him again, but I know he has tried it on with my sister a few times. I have two lovely new horses to ride and they don't buck, so I think I am better off with a horse who doesn't make me nervous.

hessy

Postby hessy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:28 pm

My old pony used to rodeo with me on random occasions - i only fell off once where he rodeoed after a jump and i got left behind so i got flung off.
It could have been a number of reasons - arthritis, excitement, naughtiness (he was a character) or something else. We never found out.

I think you are right to do what youre doing now.

vikki295

Postby vikki295 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi I have started riding again after 20 years out of the sadddle. Oscar is lovely gentleman until in a field on a hack with other horses when he will back up,barge, swing round bounce on his front legs and generally be a nightmare. Apart from putting leg on I am not sure how to alter this behaviour. His last owner fell out with him but wasn't specific why. Any help or ideas would be great as he is a lovely horse.

pukkapony

Postby pukkapony » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:41 pm

I think its just a case of his manners, bieng out of the saddle for so long is going to make it harder for you as a rider to get back into the swing of things, however... having the past experience of riding is on your side.

From the brief description you have given it sounds like you just need to be firm with him. Leg aids, and if needed a small slap on the rump with a crop will probably show him you're a no-nonsence rider. You dont say how old and experinced Oscar is, it may be that he's young and excitable and just needs someone to direct him.

Does he know/get on with the horses he reacts to, are they thretaning in any way or giving him reason to be scared?

His last owner may have just not been a srtong enough rider for him and let him get into bad habits, that you now have the full brunt of?

Keep him in familiar places and try to work thorugh it - Good luck, let us know how you get on.

vikki295

Postby vikki295 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:15 pm

Thanks will try that. Oscar is twelve and the other horses belong to my friend however, they are all geldings apart from one mare so could be bit of male testestorone flying about.

pukkapony

Postby pukkapony » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:37 pm

Sounds like it could well be a bit of manly competition!!!

Whatever you do dont let him bring your confidence down, keep working at it & it will come right in the end. Also dont be scared to ask someone who is maybe stronger or more experinced than you to help - maybe they could ride him and see if there is any diffrence.

Good luck!

littlehorse

Postby littlehorse » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:22 pm

I have a horse that bucks, he does it out hacking and in the school. After a while you get used to it and you get to know the warning signs.

Return to “Hacking happiness”