Worried about my filly :(

Ask one of our H&R Forum experts your horsey question and get advice you can trust
Megansthehorse
The SECOND number please: 3

Worried about my filly :(

Postby Megansthehorse » Thu May 24, 2012 11:22 am

Hi guys,

I am very worried about my foal, she is two months old on the 4th June and she is scouring really badly, to the point where her bottom is sore, I bathe it everyday and apply sudocrem to it. She has been like this for 2 to 3 weeks now, local vet advised me that she would stop doing it after a few weeks but she hasn't.
She started tucking into her mothers food a few weeks ago so I now feed her her own food which is the tiniest bit of molichop, some foal & yearling pellets and I water it down with a bit of water as I'm worried sugarbeet would be too rich for her.

I've heard that it could be something to do with her bacteria in her stomach and I've been told to give her a wormer and then pass her some natural yoghurt a few days after she's been wormed to restore the good healthy bacteria in her stomach?
I'd like some more advice on this before I take any action as I would like the best for my little filly!!

Thankyou,
any help appreciated!!

Jessica.

Absolute_shambles

Re: Worried about my filly :(

Postby Absolute_shambles » Thu May 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi,

I might be wrong but look into Pepto Bismol, pink bottle usually used for scouring foals. But look into it, if possible asking a more experienced vet, one who has worked within the breeding industry OR phone Rossdales or a Newmarket Equine veterinary surgery and the receptionist will be able to confirm as I am pretty sure it is widely given to foals on TB studs for scouring.

Absolute_shambles

Postby Absolute_shambles » Thu May 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Also, don't forget to ask one of the experts on foal Nutrition. There is someone from Saracen and NAF on here..... good luck!

Megansthehorse

Postby Megansthehorse » Thu May 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Okay, thankyou!

Absolute_shambles

Postby Absolute_shambles » Thu May 24, 2012 3:56 pm

Also, I presume she is still with mother and suckling occasionally?

Megansthehorse

Postby Megansthehorse » Fri May 25, 2012 11:16 am

Yes she is still with mother and she is still suckling regularly

Return to “Ask an expert”