yearling colt feed

NAF is a UFAS accredited supplement company, and can help with nutrition and feeding queries
aimeeee!

yearling colt feed

Postby aimeeee! » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:41 pm

I have 13 month old new forest colt, and he's recently got a bit pot bellied and the vet has put it down to a lack of nutrients and just his age. He's got a constant supply to his hay, but he will prefer to graze and he is currently on stud mix and chop, i have taken him off his sugabeet as it was also bloating him.
Could you recommend anything to add to his diet which has more nutrients.

Expert_NAF_Nutrition

Re: yearling colt feed

Postby Expert_NAF_Nutrition » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:45 am

Hi,

Thanks for your enquiry. It's not unusal for growing youngstock to need a bit more nutritional help, particularly the good do-ers who aren't getting all their requirements from the little hard feed they need. The problem with giving them more of the hard feed is that that will give him too much energy and protein and could result in an unwanted growth spurt. I would advise keeping everything simple, sticking with a high fibre, relatively low concentrate feed and supplementing with NAF Youngstock Supplement. Youngstock gives him all the additional vitamins and minerals for optimum growth and development, without overloading the system with excess calories.

I would advise feeding Youngstock to the mare through the last stages of pregnancy and through lactation - which is hard work for the mare - and then also to the youngster from their start through to maturity.

I hope this helps. Any further questions or queries please do contact us again, and please let us know how you and your youngster get on with NAF products.

Kind regards,

Kate

Kate Jones, Snr Nutritionist. NAF

Return to “NAF Nutritionists”