If you’re in the market for a new riding helmet, you’ve more than likely come across the term MIPS – Multi-Directional Impact Protection System. A new addition to equestrian safety wear, it originated in cycling and snow sports and provides an extra aspect of protection on top of the standard requirements for your riding helmet. But what does it actually do? Here’s all you need to know in six, bitesize chunks…
- The MIPS brain protection system (BPS) is designed to add protection against rotational motion transferred to the brain. Rotational motion affects the brain and increases the risk for minor and severe brain injuries.
- The low friction layer allows for a sliding motion of 10-15mm in all directions and is located between the polystyrene liner and the inner fabric liner. All MIPS helmets feature a yellow MIPS logo on the outer shell or harness.
- Swedish brain surgeon Hans Von Holst, together with researcher Peter Halldin, developed a ground-breaking technology designed to improve brain protection – this would later become the MIPS used in helmets today.
- Rotational motion is caused when you fall and hit a surface at an angle, which is very common when falling off a horse. This rotational force might cause the brain to move suddenly, leading to brain injuries such as concussion.
- The first MIPS prototype helmet was tested at the University of Birmingham in 2000, which showed that MIPS could significantly reduce the rotational motion otherwise transmitted to the brain.
- MIPS helmets are tested by dropping them from a height of 2.2–3.1 metres at a speed of 6–7.5 metres per second, and a 45° angle onto grinding paper. Three impact points are tested on all sizes of the helmet.
Looking for a new helmet to keep you safe this season?
Why not take a look at the brand new Revolve range from Champion?
For BETA Safety Week 2020 Champion have a special offer at participating retailers where you will receive a FREE Olympia Hat Bag with selected Champion Hats and Body Protectors!
Revolve Vent-Air MIPS peaked helmet
Revolve Vent-Air MIPS jockey helmet
Junior Revolve X-Air MIPS peaked helmet
Junior Revolve X-Air MIPS jockey helmet
For more information, visit championhats.co.uk